Monday, January 3, 2011

Weekly Student Goals

So how many of you have to use Data Binders?  I have to say that is the one area I need improvement.  I spent all break organizing and making sheets for my binders. I decided that instead of keeping them on a shelf (and in my case, collecting more dust than I would like), I am keeping them in crates at my student's desks.  I am using them everyday (or I am saying that as of now). 
One section for my binders is called "Weekly Goals".  My students on Monday's set a weekly goal.  The goal could be stay on PAW(green, A, or whatever you call it:  We are Wildcats) all week.  It could be to use magic words such as please and thank you.  It could be to read 5 books during the week.  You get the gist.  The students write their goal and on Friday, they have a mini quick conference with me and show me their "DATA" to see if they met their goal.  I have done this for a nine week period and I LOVE IT!
Download the Weekly Goal sheet here by clicking on the image.

I change it up a little every so often.  Last month it was a bear with a soccer ball kicking a goal.

Would you guys like for me to post my items in my data notebooks?  I don't know if it is something others could use.  

I have I can statements for reading and math, Fluency graphs for our Friday timed readings, Goal setting sheets for monthly goals or long term goals, and a few other items.  I seriously am making the kids in charge of the process so they know where they are at all times and what their goals are.  It worked today.  It really worked like our CAFE of the Daily 5.  They could tell me where they were and their plan to make their goals.  Let me know if you guys would like this or use it.

Tomorrow I have the cutest little project to post.  I was going to do it today, but left my camera at school.  You have to see the finished product.  So cute.  It is all about using Proactive words rather than Reactive words.  You guys are going to love it for the start of the New Year!

9 comments:

  1. We are trying to get data folders up and running. So far we have just done sight words. I would LOVE to see what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see your data folders!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be very interested in seeing how you use your data folders. We started data charts this year for reading and writing and I am still struggling to find how to make it work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, please post your data information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please post your data information. I would love to do something like this with students! Thanks for all your wonderful ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes please do and if you can provide a download of them too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with everybody above! Please post :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will post very soon. I am taking a graphic/blog class online tonight and tomorrow. I promise very soon guys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to start doing more involving the student with their data/goal setting. What a great place to start!

    ReplyDelete