Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Using Proactive Words, Not Reactive Words

Our class needed some review on manners and being proactive.  I wanted to review "I am in charge of me."
I first read the book, Oops, Sorry by Richard Morgan (You could use any book on kindness, manners, or positive behavior.  It was great with our Bucket Filler Program Books too.) and talked about ways that students could be proactive or reactive.  
We then made a T-chart on words and phrases that were Proactive and Reactive.  Once we were done, we drew our portraits and filled in I am _____________ and I use Proactive words!
Next, we stapled plastic baggies onto the middle of the picture (like they were holding the bag).  I hung the pictures up so the students could reach their classmates pictures.  I also put a jar of bingo counters out (tokens) and talked about using proactive words with each other.  Any time a friend or classmate says or does something proactive, they add a token to that student's bag.  Those kids are loving it!!!  They are using such nice positive, proactive, and kind language!  
I did tell students that at then end of the week, the student with the most tokens would receive a special charm for their necklace (We give charms for actions and meeting goals, very cheap and great motivators).  They are super excited.

Look how adorable!
These seriously look like my students.  :)



Here is a picture of the T-chart

It doesn't look great on the computer, but it prints out just fine.

I printed it as a poster.  My Kodak printer let me choose 2X2, I taped it together and then laminated so I cold use it again and again.




6 comments:

  1. I love this lesson! I will have to pass it on to some of the teachers on my team.

    Ms. M
    www.msk1ell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think they really are loving the positive talk. I heard one girl say today, "Your cheating", the boy looked at her and said, "Aren't you being reactive right now?" She said, "Yes, your right. I think you don't understand the rules. Can I explain them to you?" I was trying so hard not to laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read 7 Habits of Happy Kids by Sean Covey? He is the son of Stephen Covey. Here is a preview of his book. http://www.seancovey.com/books/7kids/index.html# One chapter is about being proactive. This link provides an introduction of all the characters and characteristics, table of contents, and the first story: Bored, Bored, Bored (Being Proactive).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure have. :) We are a Covey Leadership School so we teach the 7 habits to our children at all times. It is such a great and positive system to support the talents of our students. Every student is a leader at something. We celebrate that in all of our students. There are books now on the Habits individually that Sean has written. Habits 1-3 are out right now. I love using them in our classroom. There are really minimal behavior issues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fabulous!!! My school has been integrating the 7 Healthy Habits as well! It has really been successful! Love your blog!!!

    ~Tiffany
    http://mrstigue.blogspot.com/
    http://mallylouandfifitoo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome idea!! Definitely gonna put this in play! We have started out pretty good but the newness of the new year will wear off soon I'm sure!! :)

    ReplyDelete