Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sight Word Activity

I have a student that I love to death, but I just can't get her to learn her sight words!  One day she knows 40 and the next day 4.  I know she is SOOOO SMART!!!!  

Well, I started doing this little game with her last week, and Oh My Goodness!!!!  She knows all her sight words consistently.  Her problem was that she would just guess a word.  I made this little game for her and it is WORKING!!!!
I put a sightword on a card and told her to get her mouth ready.
While she looked at the card, I used the word in a sentence.  I then made her read the card.  I combined get your mouth read and does it make sense.  

Why did I never think of this before????  
Uh...can we say an Ed.S in reading did pay off.... eventually!  :)  I was starting to question it and the money I spent....

Here is a copy of the game I made with the sentences, words, and directions.

I just love cherries, not the fruit...hate them...but the graphics!!!

11 comments:

  1. I have a kiddo that sounds exactly like your student! I'm definitely going to give this a try. Thanks for sharing!!!!

    Alexandra
    http://thefirstgradesweetlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto! It drives me crazy! Thank you for sharing. I believe students need to be able to practice the sight words in phrases and sentences. Great activity!

    Megan
    http://mrswheelerfirst.blogspot.com/

    p.s. I also hate cherries! Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this...I too have a student who can't learn sight words - hence, is reading at an ending K level....not good for over 100 days of school! I'm gonna try this! I was beginning to give up because I was running out of ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! Sounds like we all have "someone" in common.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing. I love your stuff. I have a couple of kiddos who will benefit from your work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm telling you...This little game is magic. I can see the self esteem building right in front of my eyes. It is truly awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!! I have a little girl in my class (who I am tutoring after school) who will benefit from this! I love stuff like this-- esp. as a first year teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mrs. Walsky to the rescue! Thanks so much. I will be trying this with the little one that I have that just can't get some of the sight words!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You must have been reading my mind! I needed something to help a couple of my babies, and here you are to the rescue! Printing now! Thanks!

    thejoyoffirstgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, other thaneconomics assignment help
    are there other subjects that you cover? I am having several assignments one needs an economics homework help expert and the other one needs a financial expert. If you can guarantee quality work on both then I can hire you to complete them. All I am sure of is that I can hire you for the economics one but the finance one I am not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Engaging in sight word activities truly nurtures early literacy skills! However, speaking of growth, the advancements in the field of cosmetic surgery are remarkable. In Dubai, clinics offering the Best Abdominoplasty Dubai services stand out for their expertise and patient satisfaction. Just as children learn through activities, these clinics prioritize personalized care, ensuring remarkable transformations and client confidence.

    ReplyDelete