Friday, November 26, 2010

A Little Behavior Management and More

My school is a Franklin Covey Leadership school.  What that means, is that we try to teach our students the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People at a young age.  It is a wonderful opportunity for our students to become leaders at an early age.  Our philosophy is that everyone has a skill or habit that they excel at in life.  We discover and help the students discover what it is they possess leadership.

One thing we do is that we teach everyone that they have an Emotional Bank Account.  Students can make deposits into their emotional bank account and others bank accounts.  You can also make withdrawls from your account by doing things that are unkind and don't represent leadership skills.  Our class has a "Class" bank account also.  I have it on our door, and when we receive complements of any kind, or I see students demonstrating leadership without being told, I add money to our bank account.  If I hear that someone was doing something unkind or not demonstrating leadership without me being present, I can make a withdrawl.  Our goal is to have a full bank account or reserve for our lives to be balanced and full.  The kids love it, and so far this year I have not had to make any withdrawls.  These first graders take it seriously!

 
Another great idea that I do for attendance and our question of the day is use Shrinky Dinks.  I found Shrinky Dink Paper and made a shape of a head template.  I let the kids make their own portrait.  I took them home and shrunk them and added a magnet to the back.  They turned out so CUTE!


When students enter the classroom, they immediately go over and read our question of the day.  This question is just a question for students to make a choice, such as, Would your rather eat pumpkin pie or apple pie?  Then I have a column for each answer.  Students will move their magnet to the column that they choose.  It is a great way to take attendance, add math, and have fun first thing in the morning.  I am planning to add my questions soon!

6 comments:

  1. I am interested in your Emotional Bank Account. How do you do the individual bank account? What do you use for deposits? Do you use money like the Class bank?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first talk about how it feels to get compliments and say nice things to each other. Then I tell them that all of us need a "reserve" in our emotional bank account when some people are not nice. We have that reserve to help us be positive. We want to make tons of deposits in our bank account. When we fill other's emotional bank account, we fill our's too. So basically, when someone goes out of their way to say something nice or do something fantastic without being asked, I make deposits. If someone in the hall, cafeteria, or anywhere gives our class compliments, I add money. If we are given a warning, or someone hears something not so nice, we take a withdrawl. Children will even tell each other that what they did is a withdrawl in their emotional bank account and say "No, thank you, you are not making a withdrawl in my bank account." It is the cutest thing! We set a class goal on an amount to reach, and once we reach that amount, we spin the "Wheel of Wow". The WOW wheel has stuff like crazy sock day, eat a snack as we read, extra recess, guest reader, and other cute little things. They are so excited to spin that wheel. I hope this makes sense. It works, and I have never had such team building and cooperation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason why are drugs harmful to you? What you can do about all of them once used. How are you able to be bettered through dispelling the actual accumulated drugs out of your body body fat tissue. fashionismydrug.org

      Delete
    2. Florencia is the most amazing city within Italy... artwork, architecture, food, beautiful scenery and excellent shopping places. So, be sure you wear your own... and hit the street. florenceshopping.org

      Delete
  3. Behavior built the life of person and seen him to be good person.most respectful in all his charaters because if his abilities.
    Thanks......
    regards. saad from
    Education

    ReplyDelete