Monday, May 9, 2011

Serious Hate Mail for Teachers?!!!!

Sorry guys that I have been MIA.  Life always throws you curves, but nothing more than I can handle. 

 I just wanted to post a little hate mail.  :)  Seriously...at poor teachers, non the less!

I don't mind publicly displaying her information because she has chosen to attack poor little old me.  Unfortunately, it is a strike against all of us in our profession.  This comment (I guess) is on my post back in December on how I taught my class (who suffers from generations of poverty, violence, and low economic status) to use proactive and kind words with each other, instead of being reactive and using violence.  Silly me for teaching social skills to my kiddo's.

The entire contents of the email are displayed for you laughter and conversation!


On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 11:31 AM, Louise Owens <thewinebabe@gmail.com> wrote:
At least you refrained from saying that your proactive manners lessons would be the funnest thing you are doing from your class.
Do first grade teachers now have to use words that have been distorted beyond all comprehension by mindbendingly dull middle managers to teach manners?
Or would you advise your students to proactively avoid a sticky situation by punching the other kid in the face first.
No wonder kids are so dumb these days

(Comment as I read email: Not sure if mindbendingly is even a word?! 




My response:


On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 10:47 AM, kristen walsky <kwalsky@gmail.com> wrote:
YIKES!  It sounds like you would benefit from a Covey session.  We are a Franklin Covey school and our behaviors have DRASTICALLY reduced and quality of learning has increased due to the use of the 7 Habits.  I invite you to our school or even AB Combs in NC to see the proof in action.  My kids are not dumb, and we focus on proactive and positive behavior and learning.  No child is ever dumb, yet alone called stupid.  I am sorry to hear you have had such an unpleasant experience with your education  and what sounds like towards children. In fact, Covey Leadership teaches our students to not be so reactive in situations like this. I invite you also to go into a Kindergarten or First Grade class in your community to see how hard all teachers are working with children.   As teachers, we must pick up a lot of  skills that are not taught by parents. Children are our future, and we work hard to make them leaders, learners, and pleasant respectful citizens.
 
Dr. Kristen Walsky Ph.D 


Her response:


Wow. I am the mother of a 9th grader at one of the top schools in the country and am continually amazed, bemused and saddened at the lack of English skills among teachers.
 
Teach your children to think for themsleves and not mangle the english language to the point that I wouldn't be able to hire them as a bartender because they sound like backwoods hacks. 



Comment as I read email: Notice the grammar mistakes in her response.  (I taught middle school English, and could probably teach her a little too.  Themselves is spelled wrong and English should be capitalized)


I just had to share!  While I live in West Virginia, I have spent most of my life in Tampa, Florida.  I am proud to be fluent in Spanish, English, and backwoods hacks.  :)  


I guess Mrs. Owens you are truly in trouble!  I teach college, write books, teach children, and lobby for education reform.  What makes me chuckle is that I can't wait for one of my students to become your President!  Hee, hee!






Photobucket

30 comments:

  1. Just FYI everyone, I copied Mrs. Owens on the post, so be prepared for haters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The nerve! Didn't her mother ever teach her that if she doesn't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all!? I am glad that you stuck up for yourself, and you know that you have 550 (and more!) people right behind ya!

    YOU ARE AWESOME!
    Hadar :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home medical helps older persons live on their own for while... -term nursing jobs home proper care. More exclusively, home medical may incorporate occupational along with physical treatments... broad health

      Delete
  3. Thanks for speaking out for all the teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for speaking out and I am from WV too!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHAHAHA! That poor lady just has no idea....Go you! Like Hadar said you have 550 people supporting you, poor little lady has no idea what she has coming for her! If any of our students become her president I can not wait to see her shake in her little "winebabe" boots! And what made me laugh is really....you are a mother of a 9th grader and your e-mail is "winebabe"? Wow!!! Go Kristen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an unhappy person!! She must be jealous of how amazing you are!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can we start a blog against people like her? I bet we would reach 1000 followers in a matter of days. We would probably even get some backward hacks who might even be bartenders, lol. I am proud to be a teacher and even more proud to stand next to my fellow teachers knowing that everyday we change one little heart, no matter what. BTW, I am a Covey teacher and the program works, so for lack of a better phrase Mrs. Owens, suck on that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You go girl!!! Tell it like it is!!!! Kudos to you for speaking up for yourself and other teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!! Good for you for standing up for yourself and all of us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't even have words for these comments. I have missed your posts lately and hope that you are doing alright!

    Katie
    Queen of the First Grade Jungle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my word! I read her craptastic e-mail and I still have no idea what the heck she said! You go Walsky! Pound for pound round the mound can you see what Walsky's putting down! Just a little backwoods hood for ya!
    Ms. A

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are always going to be crappy parents who have no idea what we do, but like to tell us what we're doing wrong. I feel like have one like that every year. :( Unfortunately sometimes it's just part of the job I guess. It's the part you have to take with a grain of salt, push past, and concentrate instead on your fantastic students and all the progress they've made thanks to all you do for them.
    You are a WONDERFUL teacher (at least from what I know about you from your AWESOME blog)! Thanks for sticking up for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am just amazed at the fact that someone who prides themselves in their actions and dedication to children would write something like that on a teaching blog. Has she ever tried to step into a classroom and teach children, let alone children who come from poverty? I am very sorry that you had that on your post. You do so much for all of us and while I will not go down to her level, I think she needs some lessons in manners. Maybe they do not teach those in the "top" school that she sends her children to everyday. Again, I am so sorry and know that we all support you and think you are wonderful. I need to stop at this point before I say things I would rather not say. Love you Kristen. Thanks for being you and ALL you contribute that is POSITIVE to the youth of today for the FUTURE of tomorrow.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a troll to me. I'm very proud of you for your comeback! Frankly, I'm sick of people beating up educators. It's time we fight back!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Girl, I've got your back!
    I teach in an inner city school, and work with children whom I love to pieces. The majority of them live in poverty, and have struggles in their everyday life which we can only imagine. They are bright, full of energy, and promise; but they must be nurtured in a positive and proactive environment. And, unfortunately, they must be taught social skills as well as coping skills, which, in many cases, their parents have not been able to teach. I am appalled at the comments made by “thewinebabe”, she sounds ignorant, and elitist. Who has time for that kind of garbage when we get up every morning and do our best to bring our students the highest quality education we possibly can. I really could go on and on about this subject as I care passionately about my students, all of them; those living in orphanages, foster homes, being raised by aunts and grandparents, and those lucky enough to have an actual parent in their life.
    Tanya
    First Grade is Fantabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mercy me! Good for you for sticking up for yourself, and all of us fellow teachers as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So proud to follow a leader in my profession. Go You!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Times like this I dream about the Seinfeld TV show where someone was ruining his show....so he went to the office where she worked and yelled insults at her....yes, it's just a dream about a TV show, but it brings a smile to my face everytime!
    ~Fern
    Fern-Smith.Blogspot.com

    PS....Ms. A never heard the term "craptastic email" I am amazed at how much I love the term!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! "Why can't we all just get along?" I wish everyone would have had social skills training in school. Social skills training may have lessened "road rage", terrorism, "hate mail", etc.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is posters like this person that make me turn off my computer all together. My husband calls them trolls. They just comment to be mean. I started my blog because I was so happy to find a place (social network) where everyone was kind and just here to help each other become a better teacher/mom/crafter/person.
    I've had a few commentors post rude comments and it upset me for days.
    Good for you for sticking up for yourself!
    Andi

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sticking up for us all! I too teach in the inner-city and LOVE it! I wouldn't want to teach anywhere else. I love my students and many times are the only stable thing in their lives. It amazes me at how ignorant some people can be. Just let her try to do our job for one day!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Helpful content for me to know about this game. I was looking for this content. Share some more content soon. Now have a look at botox st albert.

    ReplyDelete