Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Non teacher stuff

For those of you who thought I fell off the end of the world, I am here.  :)

The past two weeks have been CRAZY!  First, my mom was in the hospital (out now, and doing better everyday).
Then, my youngest gets a swollen salivary gland(which he gets at least 2 times a year and no one has a clue what causes it) and then strep.
Then, my husband gets strep, and then me.

Now we seem to be over the storm (except for the swollen salivary gland).  I am on spring break and just need to take time for myself (Sharpen my Saw).  So what do I do?  

Go furniture shopping at my favorite thrift stores of course!  Here is what I got and transformed:
I call him Henry, and he was $10.  I wish I had taken a picture of the before!  I am now doing that.  He was in need of help.  Mold was all over him and he needed to be spruced and Shabbied up and placed in my dinning room.

So with a new Henry, I had to buy these great chairs and reupholster them pronto with some cute Amy Butler fabric
Here is before:

Love the chair, hate the fabric!
Here is the after!!!
So pretty now!  Henry matches the green in these chairs!
Reupholstering chairs is about the easiest thing to do!  I got six of these chairs and a mahogany dinning room table with pedestal legs for $100.  They just needed a little TLC and now they rock!

Then I was at another thrift store and saw this boy.  I just loved it.  Not my style, but I knew he had to come home with me.

The price said $40, but I talked them down to $12.  I think it was because I had been painting all day and had yucky clothes on and my two kids were tearing up the store.  I really think they wanted me to leave in a hurry.  :)  This could be a new tip for everyone who goes to find cool stuff in thrift shops.

Finally, I had two of these chairs that I got for free and had to do something to spice them up.  I am almost done with them.  Here is what I have so far, and I wish I had taken a before shot.  They were ugly brown wood.  
Here is one of them:
Look how happy she is now!

I am planning on doing some more crafty stuff the rest of the week.  I bought an old Amish bench for $1, a bunch of old wooden school chairs, a really cool picture frame I want to shabby up, and some other things that are dying for some paint, glaze, and sanding.

I promise to create some cool stuff for the classroom, but I just wanted to let everyone know that I am using my creativity in another outlet this week!  :)


Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. Enjoy your spring break! Love the creativity.

    www.learningwithmrsparker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy "sharpening your saw"... You deserve it. I wish I was creative!

    Conchy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! LOVE it!

    ~Gladys
    Once Upon a Time in First Grade

    P.S. Kristen...your Write from the Beginning binder has been returned to sender twice! :(
    Please email me...I think I made a mistake writing your address.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Henry. Beautiful lines. Decorating is my second love (after teaching.) I try to paint furniture, but it never turns out the way I wish it would.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Henry is to die for! Jealous!
    ~Erin
    http://firstgradefanatics.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it, the dining room chair is amazing!! I have to admit, when I go to garage sales, I am so excited to dress down on a Saturday, that I do the no make-up, no rings and old "play clothes" as I drive around...I have bought so many books for my classroom dirt cheap because I truely think the people feel so sorry for me! I love your thrift shop idea!
    Fern
    fern-smith.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so talented. Love everything!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gratitude for the good blog post Now we seem to be over the storm (except for the swollen salivary gland. It was very helpful for me. Keep sharing such thoughts in the future as well. gratitude for sharing the such information with us,

    dissertation accounting

    ReplyDelete
  9. Re-purposing furniture is a great idea but you don’t want to ruin your ‘new’ found relic.brentwood tn furniture stores

    ReplyDelete